Thursday, February 07, 2008

My Treadle Sewing Machine

Isn't she lovely? I think she is a beaut. She has not had a working belt on her since I have owned her, so I have not been able to use her. But last night my dear hubby got the leather piece I had bought and started to make the belt usable. The wire staple was missing, so he made one using a nail, but that was too thick. So he found that a large paper clip worked to bring the leather together to make a 'belt.' Wallah...it seemed to work.
Now, I was gone most of the day so I did not get to try to sew with the machine. But tomorrow is a new day and I am planning to give it a whirl. (I was born in 54 and I will turn 54 tomorrow.)
I have the blocks for a family quilt that need to be put together. So I am a thinkin' I will use this machine to sew those pieces into a quilt. How quaint.
I love the old fashioned ways of doing things, so using this machine is right down my alley.
I will let you know how it goes.
This machine has some lovely detail on it's front. Click on the picture to see it better. The drawers have wood branches around the handles. I found this old treadle at a yard sale about seven or so years ago. I paid $35.00 for it.
I am very excited to be able to get her running again.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: